The April 18 due date to file the federal taxes with Internal Revenue Service (IRS) is an important deadline for all taxpayers making early attempts to complete the formalities well in time. Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS) is the most convenient free service by the U.S. Department of Treasury to make tax payments online. If you have queries about how the EFTPS works, read on the guide below for the vital information to get handy with the system.
EFTPS is a seamless and secure online platform for tax payments accessible 24×7 allowing the users to schedule their tax payments as per choice at the website or via phone call support. Inaugurated in 1996, this is one of the most trusted platforms having a record of successfully received 1 billion+ payments and still counting. Today the website caters to the requirements of several individuals and businesses including tax professionals, payroll service providers, financial institutions and others.
How Does EFTPS Works?
You can easily set up your EFTPS account and make the tax payments in a few steps online following the steps below:
Step 1: Account Enrollment
- Visit the official website https://www.eftps.gov/eftps/direct/EftpsHome.page
- Click the ‘Enrollment’ tab in the menu bar at the top of the page
- Depending on the type of account needed, select your option- Business/ Individual or Federal Agency
- Fill in the details in the electronic form including Employer ID, routing number, address etc
Step 2: Activate Your Account
Once enrolled for the EFTPS account, you will receive the PIN and other related information by mail in 7 business days. If you have not yet received the PIN, contact 1.800.555.4477. Upon receiving your request by phone call, a copy of the PIN will be sent via US mail at your address.
- Visit the eftps.gov website
- Click the Login tab in the top right corner on the menu bar
- Enter EIN or SSN (as applicable)
- Enter your PIN
- Click ‘Need a new password’
- Create unique password for this account
- Verify the bank details
- Select ‘Next’ to proceed to the payment
Step 3: Make Tax Payment
- Visit the www.eftps.gov website
- Login to your account as stated above
- Select ‘Make a Payment’
- Enter the payment details in the appropriate categories as they appear to complete the process
Upon successful completion of the payment process, you will reach the payment confirmation page with all the details on the transaction. You must save a copy of this page and the EFT acknowledgement number as your receipt for the tax payment document.
Cyber Safety and Data Security
To ensure complete safety of the sensitive financial information of the taxpayers across the EFTPS platform, the US Government system has introduced the most robust infrastructure for 100% secure EFTPS Login for all registered users.
You can sign in to your EFTPS account by clicking the Login tab on the top right corner of the official website. On the login page, you must provide the following details (as applicable) to access your account:
- Employer Identification Number (EIN)- for businesses
- Social Security Number (SSN)- for individuals
- Internet Password
To get started with your tax payments at EFTPS, visit official website.
Note: All taxpayers (individuals and businesses) must schedule their payments at least 24 hours before the due date for tax payments (by 8p.m. ET) to ensure that your payments reach the IRS within the deadline. The funds are transferred from the specified bank account to the Treasury department on the date selected by the taxpayer. Upon successful transaction, IRS updates your tax payment records.
Do you have further queries related to EFTPS or tax payments? For more details, you may visit official website.